Popular Posts

Friday, May 17, 2024

Web 2.0 Tensions (Week 1 Blog 2)

 While watching Dr. Dennen's VoiceThread, the last couple of slides about Web 2.0 challenges and tensions stood out to me. Although Web 2.0 brings huge benefits to both educators and students, some barriers exist because of the nature of social media. Can the benefit of wide access counterbalance the threat of lack of accuracy of information? Likewise, can the merit of forming a networked community over social media counterbalance the lack of control? These are some interesting questions that arose to me and are also closely related to what I have been exploring in a few of my projects.

 The first question can be closely related to students' data literacy skills and, more broadly, media literacy. With the flood of information over social media platforms, gauging students' skills and knowledge regarding checking the accuracy of information is essential. This can give insights into what kinds of data literacy education should be held at the K-12 school level.

 The second question reminds me of my experience as a 6th-grade homeroom teacher back in 2020. During the pandemic, teachers couldn't really control what students were going through on social media. They were doing their best to connect with each other - which is a great thing, but at the same time, a number of cyberbullying cases were reported to the school. This issue is more of an ethical/behavioral matter but cannot be overlooked. 

 I hope to explore these questions so forth as the semester progresses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection (Week 11, Blog 3)

 This week was an "international" day for me personally, which aligns with this week's topic. I flew from Korea back to Tallah...