Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Learning about a new tool - RSS Reader (Week 2 Blog 1)

 As the world is filled with more and more information, I think we do reach a point where we get mixed up with what I follow in which account under which platform. This was a problem for me, too. I wanted to be up-to-date with the news that I was interested in and followed several accounts on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. As Instagram is the platform that I check most regularly, I tend to get news from Instagram page that I follow. The AI algorithm is also smart enough to tailor my feed after seeing how much time I spend reading these posts, which means what appears on my feed changes from time to time. So, I do not have the same amount of exposure to this news on a regular basis.

 I believe this week's new tool can be one possible solution to this problem. I wasn't so familiar with the RSS Reader program before, but after downloading Feeder, I could see how easy and quick it could be to get information on just one page. I was surprised to see how it generates new blog posts from my peers just by uploading the HTML file with the blogs' URL information. This will allow me to easily access my peers' posts and leave comments. I also connected some newsletter pages and keywords to have it appear on my feed. I will keep exploring what to add to my feed, and to manage a reasonable amount of feeds that do not overwhelm me but rather help me in getting information.

3 comments:

  1. I do think we reach a point where all of the different accounts and platforms just become too much, especially because many of the accounts I follow post on multiple platforms. I spend too much time looking at the same content. That's interesting that you get your news from Instagram. I recently found a few pages that post information on current events for teenagers. At first I was concerned that getting news from social media would only give one side of the story. Then I started looking at the tv news through a different lens and was reminded bias is all around us, not just on social media. I think you are right though about the blogs, keep it to a reasonable amount of feeds so it doesn't become overwhelming. When there's too much information out there I end up not taking any of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I follow a couple of different news accounts on Instagram and it is one of my main sources of news, as I do not have traditional television and have never enjoyed watching the news on TV. I've definitely noticed the bias in news as I've grown older, so I am careful about what I follow. So Informed is my current favorite on Instagram to follow for information.

      Delete
    2. Hi Kelly and Jen! I appreciate your comments and I agree more with you both on so many points! News can be biased so we tend to look at multiple sources but then sometimes end up getting too overwhelmed. I think this is the dilemma we all face which leads us to be extra careful in choosing which sources we get information from. Jen, I also follow @so.informed and like getting news from them! I like that they give me the summaries of what's happened in an organized style and sometimes provides news from different sources in one post.

      Delete

Reflection (Week 6, Blog 3)

 This week, I couldn't spend much time online as I had some personal duties to finish. However, this week's topic interested me, and...