Popular Posts

Sunday, June 23, 2024

Networked Knowledge Activities Using Miro (Week 6, Blog 2)

According to Dennen's (forthcoming) definition of six networked knowledge activities, learners engage in the activities of collecting, curating, sharing, brokering, negotiating, and constructing to manage, communicate, and create knowledge. One of the tools that make these activities possible is Miro.

Last semester, I started using Miro very actively across the classes I took and the class I taught. Before, I used Padlet quite often as my teaching tool, but after finding out about Miro and how interactive it can be, I dug deeper into it. The screenshots below show how I used Miro as a teaching material. I provided question or topic prompts and created the background and overall space where students could put sticky notes under similar categories and simultaneously see what others have shared. Students collected and curated knowledge by searching web engines or drawing from their own opinions. They shared and negotiated while discussing with each other to figure out the questions, and they constructed knowledge by coming up with agreed answers or creative thoughts.

Example 1

Example 2

Miro has more interactive features, and I believe I only used it for limited usage. I remember one student saying that all the cursors hovering over the screen simultaneously made her nervous. This could be the downside of Miro, as it can be a barrier to forming networked knowledge activities. What was your experience using Miro as a teaching or learning material?



References

Dennen, V. P. (forthcoming). Networked Knowledge Activities Excerpt from Social Media for Active Learning.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Idam, For an instructional design perspective, I have used Miro for participants to create different work products. For example, in a management course, I grouped participants, presented them with a workplace dilemma, and required them to create fishbone diagram in Miro to determine the root cause of the problem. It worked well as the participants reported to different office locations. The assigned group leader scheduled Teams meetings with their peers to create the diagram on the platform, and shared it with the class via a generated link.

    ReplyDelete

Reflection (Week 6, Blog 3)

 This week, I couldn't spend much time online as I had some personal duties to finish. However, this week's topic interested me, and...