Popular Posts

Sunday, June 2, 2024

Reddit: The New Tool (Week 3, Blog 2)

 Reddit has always been an online space that I wanted to explore more. Growing up in my cultural background, Reddit wasn't so widespread in Korea. There is an alternative Web 2.0 space called Naver, but it is mostly limited to usage in Korea.

 I heard some great things about Reddit before, especially how it helps you gain information from particular groups of people. One of my friends told me how she searched for information on apartments before starting the graduate program to see general sentiments on places she was interested in. If I had used Reddit like her, I would have decided to stay at an apartment other than where I am currently staying in Tallahassee! 

 So, I dug into Reddit this week. For the Community Assignment, I decided to join R/PhD. I was surprised at how active people were in the space and reading other people's posts with concerns similar to mine. I could relate to many circumstances and get help just by reading them. I read from the links on the course Canvas page that you earn "karma" on Reddit by participating and contributing to the community. My current karma point is low, but since I chose to be an "active participant" there for the assignment, I will try to see how it goes forward.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience, Idam--I think you have inspired me here. All week long I've been dabbling in different communities on different tools (X, Instagram, Facebook), but I have never fully taken the leap with Reddit (which is quite funny, to be honest, because I have indirectly read a lot of Reddit threads due to the fact that they frequently show up in my search results). In any case, your post has got me thinking that I should explore some more communities on there & potentially use one for my assignment--so thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete

Reflection (Week 6, Blog 3)

 This week, I couldn't spend much time online as I had some personal duties to finish. However, this week's topic interested me, and...